Pre-Conference Workshop (Optional)
Creating Trauma-Informed Learning Environments
- Janice Carello, Pennsylvania Western University
Thursday, May 11, 2023
- 1:00 - 4:00pm (Eastern)
- Cost per person: $115
- Location: Harrisburg Hilton (conference hotel) - Penn Harris (3rd floor)
***Registration is now closed.***
What do we do when students stop showing up or start complaining? How do we respond when they share stories of personal struggles? How do we center student learning while coping with our own individual and collective struggles? This workshop will provide an introduction to trauma-informed approaches in higher education: what it means to be trauma-informed, why it’s important, and what it looks like in practice. We will also explore scenarios and strategies to recognize and reduce our own and others’ stress and to create environments that enhance our own and others’ learning and well-being. Participants will also be provided with resources to aid further exploration and professional development.
Typically, pre-conference workshops have anywhere from 10-25 attendees. As such, they are able to have a significant amount of interactivity.
Participants will be able to:
- Recognize signs and symptoms of stress
- Identify strategies for communicating with in ways that reduce stress
- Locate resources to support their students’ and their own well-being
Payment can be made via check, Visa or Mastercard.
- Mail payment by check to: LOEX ; 4007 Carpenter Rd #357; Ypsilanti MI 48197
- To pay with a credit card by phone, call 734-340-2653
- To pay with a credit card online, use this online form
This project is made possible by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services as administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education through the Office of Commonwealth Libraries, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro, Governor. Support is also provided by the College and Research Division of the Pennsylvania Library Association (https://crdpala.org/).