Pre-Conference Workshop (Optional)
Living Servant Leadership
Thursday, May 5, 2022
- 1:30 - 4:30pm (Eastern)
- Cost per person: $115
- Location: Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti (conference hotel) ; Conference Room E
***Registration is now closed.***
Leaders are built at all points along the line -- in formal and informal ways. Many leaders are promoted without formal training. They either emulate those they admire or lead in ways that are in direct opposition to leaders they haven’t enjoyed working for in the past. But like most skills, leadership gets easier (and we get better at it!) the more we practice.
In this 3-hour pre-conference workshop, ZingTrain will share Zingerman’s^ approach to leadership based on the concepts of Servant Leadership and Stewardship. This is the belief that as leaders--in libraries, departments, ad hoc committees, projects, or programs--our first priority is to serve those under our leadership. This session provides the outlook, tools, and skills to help you turn a service-oriented approach to librarianship into an effective leadership strategy. Discover how to lead by putting the needs of your communities first and how to support not only the members of your team, but the interactions your team will have with colleagues, faculty, or students across campus as well.
Participants will learn how clear communication, holding space for learning and gratitude, and maintaining a positive leadership style can increase team effectiveness. Theory will then be put into practice as participants practice giving and receiving effective feedback and create a personal action plan for becoming a better leader.
Typically, pre-conference workshops have anywhere from 10-30 attendees. As such, they are able to have a significant amount of interactivity.
^ Zingerman’s is a community of ten unique businesses, with 700+ employees and over 65+ million dollars in annual revenue. Still in Ann Arbor after nearly 40 years in business, Zingerman’s has been recognized nationally not just for our exceptional products and customer service, but also for our unique business model."
Participants will be able to:
- Define Zingerman's approach to Servant Leadership and how it can be employed in their own context
- Practice giving and receiving effective feedback.
- Create an action plan for becoming an effective Servant Leader, including new ideas and concepts to begin incorporating in your daily work.
- Develop a network of like-minded peers to call upon when there are roadblocks.
Payment can be made via check, Visa or Mastercard.
- Mail payment by check to: LOEX ; 4007 Carpenter Rd #357; Ypsilanti MI 48197
- To pay with a credit card by phone, call 734-340-2653
- To pay with a credit card online, use this online form